“NASA’s Shocking Revelation: The Hidden Truth Behind the Nine-Month Astronaut Ordeal in Space!”

Imagine being up in space for nine months—sounds like a sci-fi flick, right? Well, it’s not the stuff of fiction; it’s the very real situation faced by NASA astronauts Barry “Butch” Wilmore and Sunita Williams. Since June, they’ve been orbiting Earth, eagerly awaiting their much-anticipated return home, only to find themselves stranded due to a series of unforeseen delays. A scheduled SpaceX mission, meant to bring them back in style, just hit a snag—and let’s be honest, it’s not exactly the kind of “staycation” anyone hopes for when you’ve been living in a tin can hundreds of miles above the planet! As NASA opens up about the reasons behind this extended space odyssey, questions about safety, planning, and the logistics of space travel echo in the void. Curious about what’s really been going on? Buckle up, because this is one wild ride through the challenges of getting home from the stars! LEARN MORE.

NASA breaks silence about reason they left astronauts stranded in space for nine months as rescue mission delayed
Published 08:20 13 Mar 2025 GMT

A rocket was finally supposed to launch yesterday to bring Butch and Suni home

There’s been a major setback for the NASA astronauts who have been stranded in space for the last nine months.

Barry ‘Butch’ Wilmore and Sunita Williams flew out to space back in June and have now been at the International Space Station (ISS) since. This all began as the Boeing spacecraft they were supposed to return on after their eight-day mission was deemed unsafe.

A NASA-Space X mission was due to set off yesterday (12 March), with four new crew members to pave the way for the return of Williams and Wilmore. It would have meant they could’ve been back as early as Sunday. But this has now been postponed.

And as previous options were put forward to bring them back to Earth, NASA has spoken about why they left the astronauts stranded up there.

Suni and Butch. (NASA)

Suni and Butch. (NASA)

Back in July, the space agency awarded Elon Musk’s SpaceX a special contract to look into bringing the pair back on a Crew Dragon vehicle.

Associate administrator Ken Bowersox said during a teleconference last Friday: “The SpaceX folks helped us with a lot of options for how we would bring Butch and Suni home on Dragon in a contingency.”

He said there were ‘always options’ in terms of adding on missions or bringing a capsule home early.

NASA's SpaceX Crew-10 were supposed to launch yesterday. (Aubrey Gemignani/NASA via Getty Images)

NASA’s SpaceX Crew-10 were supposed to launch yesterday. (Aubrey Gemignani/NASA via Getty Images)

“But we ruled them out pretty quickly just based on how much money we’ve got in our budget, and the importance of keeping crews on the International Space Station,” he added. “They’re an important part of maintaining the station.”

And Space Operations Mission Directorate said: “The best option was really the one that we’re embarking upon now.”

Vice president for SpaceX, Bill Gerstenmaier, said that NASA’s delayed plan for bringing the astronauts back allowed it to ‘use Sunny and Butch in a very productive manner’ and ‘keep the science going’.

Yesterday’s Falcon 9 launch from Florida’s Cape Canaveral Space Force Station ended up being put back due to a hydraulic ground issue.

Engineers have been trying to fix the issue after concerns one of the clamp arms wouldn’t have been able to open fully during launch.

The plan for the SpaceX rocket it to fly out four new crew members (two from the US, one from Japan, and another from Russia) to the ISS, allowing for the Williams and Wilmore’s return.

The company has said the next launch window would be on Friday evening.

Williams said earlier this month: “We’re here, we have a mission – we’re just doing what we do every day, and every day is interesting because we’re up in space and it’s a lot of fun.”

Featured Image Credit: NASA

Topics: Elon Musk, NASA, Science, Space, SpaceX, Technology

Post Comment

RSS
Follow by Email